🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


Ryuichi Sakamoto: Coda


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 325: 02.16.2021
I once spent a few months recording the sound of every single pee I took. This was after I had gotten my very first smartphone and I was constantly on the hunt for weird projects I could do with it. Never before have we as a species had such a powerful tool in our pockets and I wanted to put that power to good use. By recording the sound of every single pee I took over the course of a few months. I eventually released this album (called Pisses) but I sadly deleted it at some point, probably because all it was was 45 minutes of the sound of every single pee I took over the course of a few months.

Towards the end of this lovely and inspiring documentary, Ryuichi Sakamoto records the sounds of the melting ice caps. Literally. He travels to the north pole and sticks a microphone in the water. To my ears, it sounded like my piss. Life is beautiful and beyond weird. It's full of pain and utter, incomprehensible destruction. It's full of light and sound. His goal is to use the latter to transform the terror into something magnificent.

In case your not familiar, Sakamoto is a Japanese musician, a founding member of the impossibly original Yellow Magic Orchestra, a solo artist and Academy Award-winning film composer. This documentary is told from the Eastern perspective, his native land and language, despite having lived in New York City for much of the 21st century. It's bookended by the impact of devastation left in the wake of 2011 tsunami. It uses the disaster as a springboard into Sakamoto's lifelong pursuit of activism, and his framing cultural events in musical terms, using man-made atrocities as the focus and inspiration for many of his artistic works.

I found the sequences where we just got to watch him work and experiment, as a fly on the wall, to be the most intriguing. I wanted to start recording my pee again. What else can we ask of a movie?

CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 324 - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 325B ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.