🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


Venom


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 196: 08.14.18

Having only seen two or three Marvel movies since being wholly underwhelmed by Iron Man 1 (in the theaters) back in 2008, let me preface this short review with a warning: generally-speaking, these flicks ain't my bag, but if you like ‘em? More power to ya! Me? I turned Black Panther off ten minutes in! Trash! So why did I choose to watch Venom, the commercially successful and critically panned 2018 film starring Tom Hardy as the titular anti-hero/pro-villain? It might seem odd on the surface, sure. But my approach was threefold: (1) Venom/Spiderman were my favorite characters during my brief childhood fascination with actual comic books, (2) I think Hardy is a nutty genius actor and I would watch him in anything, and (3) the fact that this was *so* harshly panned (a 29% RT score!!) and not technically in the MCU (lol) completely piqued my interest for some reason.
This movie is by no means a masterpiece, obviously, but my appreciating it is not ironic. It's not so bad it's good. It's just good because it's a dumb fun movie. Period. You can pile on the asinine plot or over-the-top acting or maybe you had issues with the special FX and character design. I don't watch enough of this genre to comment in a compare/contrast way. I just enjoyed it. And I find it extremely odd and mildly troubling that just enjoying films in this genre is apparently not enough. It’s almost as if its detachment from the MCU was the thing which ruined it for these fans before they watched one second of the actual movie. That’s weird imo.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 195 - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 197A ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.