🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


The Lighthouse


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 225: 01.01.20

I loved this film. I loved it in a way where I don't really care if its myriad and fully insane THINGS/IDEAS are backed up by discernable thematic intentions. I could go down a million rabbit holes and come out someplace different each time. And I love that. The criticism of that is fair: that it's just a series of Choose Your Own Adventure Rorschach tests. Personally I felt like there was a clear indication of "what was really going on." And if my interpretation is completely off-base, that's fine. I'll refrain from sharing it here as I feel like the movie is too magical to pollute the web with bad theories; just go see it, make up your own mind. There was that viral review of Avengers: Endgame recently about how Endgame was critic-proof. A film like The Lighthouse is also critic-proof in a way, though for completely antithetical reasons, I feel. So, I'll keep this brief.
There are two things I feel worth mentioning. One, as you might have heard or read: this does play like a black comedy; it hits all the beats. It actually might be the blackest black comedy ever made. Secondly, while it also works as a perfect pair to Eggers's first film The Witch (themes of isolation,use of a funny lost dialect, etc etc), it's so completely different in many ways (my previous point being the best example). It's one of the best films of the year, and Eggers is proving to be nothing short of a genius, entering the shortlist of directors whose films you MUST go see in theaters. I'll leave it at that. Now go see for yourself. I don't wanna spill the beans.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 224B - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 226 ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.