🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


The Kid Detective


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

🎙️ EPISODE 322: 02.16.2021

My insanely arbitrary 'rule' that I created for this website stating all movies can only be assigned one genre tag is just that: insanely arbitrary. And, more so, I can break the rule whenever and wherever if I so choose–it's a goddam free country website. But I've found that there is a benefit in this. By distilling a film in this manner, it would seem you're putting it in a box, narrowing its appeal, and that sucks ass; the best movies are often so original they actively dissuade this. However, as a tool for critique and categorization, I find that it's helpful. If a film can't do one thing well enough to warrant inclusion in a genre, then it's more than likely D.O.A. Often, films suck ass specifically because they're trying to do too much.

Take the true under-the-radar 2020 gem The Kid Detective: I've assigned this the #black comedy label, which I feel is the best fit for it both pragmatically and thematically. But it's so unique that you could call it a neo-noir, a drama, a mystery, a thriller, and so on, and you wouldn't be wrong.
It's farcical but never too cute about it. It deploys the perfect amount of edgy jokes. It looks tremendous despite its smaller budget. Its fleet of Canadian supporting actors aren't just good but pretty great. If I had but a single complaint it would be (1) the final clue appears kind of too magically, too conveniently, and (1B) the ultimate bad guy's character could have been flushed out a little more, given more than one scene's worth of screen-time before the reveal. (This is super nitpicky, to be honest; all of the details work and the story congeals which is the far more important point.)

The anchor to this tremendous first feature by writer-director Evan Morgan is the titular character and former teen idol Adam Brody, who excels in the lead role. His brand of bitter and pathetic is real because we can see deep down the hopeful little kid wanting to return; it's an excellent portrayal.

Morgan's only notable credit prior to this is co-writer of the kind of cultish, very hard to explain, quasi found footage film The Dirties (2013) by Matt Johnson, a film which I liked quite a bit in spite of the presence of "Kevin Smith presents" above the title. Another connection to the Johnson Dirtiesverse out of Canada is score composer Jay McCarrol who did The Kid Detective's excellent soundtrack; McCarroll also co-starred alongside Johnson in the TV show Nirvanna the Band the Show, another thing I enjoyed. This is neither here nor there aside from an opportunity for me to list a few more things that I have seen on account of cool I am and how great my taste is. And speaking of that, go see The Kid Detective right now at your local cineplex which is just your living room duh. Go on now, get!

CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 321 - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 323 ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.