MOVIE #1,245 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 11.21.23 This was difficult for me to reckon with. On the one hand, it’s lovely to look at: shot on film with...


To the Ends of the World

MOVIE #1,245 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 11.21.23
This was difficult for me to reckon with. On the one hand, it’s lovely to look at: shot on film with nimble, understated performances. But on the other, I’m not sure we need another war movie in this bleak, violent vein. As I’ve often said, when you’ve seen one necklace strung with human ears, you’ve seen them all. I do appreciate a revenge movie that doesn’t provide closure, though, as I feel there’s something deep and resonant there. The subplot with the prostitute is mostly a dead-end, however the ambiguous ending provides a level of intrigue to that thread which I hadn’t anticipated. Green Card was a huge “Mom movie” in my house growing up so it’s always nice seeing Gérard Depardieu pop up.

I would still softly recommend this and reading about the director Guillaume Nicloux’s other work has me intrigued enough to revisit this and see how it stacks up/fits into his canon.


CHRONOLOGICALLY
⫷ MOVIE #1,244 - (YOU ARE HERE) - MOVIE #1,246 ⫸

To the Ends of the World (French: Les Confins du Monde) is a 2018 French film directed by Guillaume Nicloux. It was selected to screen in the Directors' Fortnight section at the Cannes Film Festival. It was released on May 10, 2018.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.