MOVIE #1,091 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 08.02.23 Some strange synergy happening here on WATCHLIST WEDNESDAY folks. W.W., for those ‘not in the kn...


Hiruko the Goblin

MOVIE #1,091 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 08.02.23

Some strange synergy happening here on WATCHLIST WEDNESDAY folks. W.W., for those ‘not in the know’, is when I hit shuffle on my Letterboxd watchlist and pick the first two flicks at random to watch. Well, today offered up this wacky Japanese horror movie about a baby-sized spider goblin with an adult human head, as well as a 1960s black-and-white “horror” film called Spider Baby. Ain’t that something? (You don’t have to answer that. I know it isn’t.)

Hiruko the Goblin was the much more enjoyable watch. The follow-up to Shinya Tsukamoto’s beloved classic Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989) had me wishing I had started there, as I still haven’t seen that movie (or any of his other work). I plan to correct this with a full-on Director Focus of Tsukamoto’s filmography, hopefully in 2024. (Update: I did end up watching Tetsuo for 2023's Spooky Month bonanza!)
There’s not much going on plot-wise. This is pretty much strictly a vehicle for this…


and...


and...


and...


and...


and...


and the movie ends with the human spirits being freed and turning into giant sperm comets that float into outer space…


and that’s plenty good enough for me.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
⫷ MOVIE #1,090 - (YOU ARE HERE) - MOVIE #1,092 ⫸

Japanese horror film directed by Shinya Tsukamoto and starring Kenji Sawada. It is based on a manga by Daijiro Morohoshi. It was released on May 11, 1991.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.