🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


A Mighty Wind


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 294: 08.25.2020

Think of my bestowing this with the majestic and ultra score of 10A (not 10B folks) as something of a lifetime achievement award for Christopher Guest. This is not 100% a perfect movie by any means, but collectively his three-film run of mockumentaries ending with this, my personal favorite, has more than enough moments to fill a perfect movie's runtime. He always seems to hit a deadend before the final act and the completely unfortunate and unnecessary last goof in this one IS transphobic (I attempted to unpack as this as thoughtfully as possible in the podcast review, so I'll leave it at that here). For films that are all almost exactly 90 minutes long, it's weird to say that they need about ten minutes of edits each to make them SO much better, but that's how I truly feel.
I always held this trio pretty damn high in my mind, and before this rewatch, I wouldn't have been surprised if all three were to be deemed 'classic-worthy'. So with that caveat, they were sort of a disappointment and I felt a little bummed out I didn't enjoy them more this go-around. I still think they're all pretty great and certainly landmark works for the genre; it's just an example of how one's tastes are fluid and ever-changing, and memories are made to either be proven wrong or forgotten.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Oh, hi, you still here? I forgot to mention the songs. The songs! Part of what makes this movie spectacular is the original music, written by Guest, Michael McKean and others. It also features the a full Spinal Tap reunion in the form of The Folksmen (Guest, McKean and Harry Shearer). The songs are so good they feel 'real' man (they are REAL but you know what I mean). Anyway, great songs, stellar songs. Love to, umm, listen to them, and whathaveyou.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 293B - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 294B ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.