🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


Shogun Assassin


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 294: 08.31.2020 *Review starts @ ~ 16:21

This is out of my wheelhouse. I appreciate the practical FX and bright red paint blood spurting everywhere (of course I do; am I not human?!), but ultimately I don't think I'm ever gonna jive with this bag, turkey shoes. I also don't know how to properly frame this within the genre (and many subgenres) on the whole. This film is essentially an American/English-speaking remix (hot dubz) of TWO Japanese films that came out 8 years earlier. How does one parse this? Do you compare it to the original versions, or do you judge it enjoy it on its own terms. I also struggle with the filmmakers' intentions: are they genuine fans or did they view this source material as a cheap cash grab and accidentally made something great by adding a hot soundtrack and LOL voiceover. I mean this (the last almost three minutes of the movie) is hilarious and fun by anyone's definition...

But then there was also a rape scene that turned out not to be a rape scene where a small boy awkwardly touched this lady's nipple and so WTF I am supposed to do with that?

This film is often quoted or referenced in connection to Tarantino and so much of Kill Bill is in these action/fight sequences. Some of them are instantly meme-able and gif-worthy and you don't have to go far to find them on the internet...





(Saved me a lot of trouble making these actually!)

Ultimately, it is what it is... I'd love to take the time to watch the original film series as I feel like I might personally enjoy those more, but who has the time, time is money, what's money? this was a fun sub-90-minute watch that I definitely recommend.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 294A - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 295A ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.