🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


Trick 'r Treat


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 372: 10.25.21

So begins my foray into more specifically spooky season content. That's right: it's motherspookin' #HalloweenWeek up in here! There's a lot of horror franchises and Halloween-adjacent classics I've yet to dip my toe into, and I have hopes of eventually doing serial reviews on some of that stuff (the Nightmare & Friday the 13th serieses come to mind, among others). But as its already mid-October, I felt like I should watch some autumnal content and other one-off scary films. FOR THE SZN. And I chose this semi-cult flick, an anthology movie by the guy who would go on to make Krampus, an evil spooky CHRISTMAS movie.
Michael Dougherty has a fairly weird pedegree. He's a Brian Singer acolyte (eek), the screenwriter of that pervert's superhero films X2 (2003) and Superman Returns (2006), before crafting this, his first feature as writer-director-executive producer. And I can see why people like it! It really has a nice look and the intertwining stories swivel in and out of each other in an interesting way that a lot (most?) anthology collections either don't know how to do or don't even attempt.

` That being said, it was a little tonally off for me. The first main story involving Dylan Baker (the pedophile from Happiness) as a flippant serial killer / school principal / demented single father left a bad taste in my mouth. I ain't normally no prude, but it's weird blend of humor and gore and extended blood vomit sequence didn't click.

But the movie gets progressively better as it goes, culminating with a few ridiculously great set-pieces (the lady werewolf blood orgy) and practical character design (Little Mr. Trick 'r Treat himself) and performances (Brian Cox as an alcoholic hermit with a shadowy past). I doubt this will ever be a seasonal rewatch for me, but it has it's moments for sure.



CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 371 - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 373 ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.