MOVIE #1,061 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 07.13.23 WELL, HONG? • CHAPTER 4 I think this is the first Lifetime Original Movie that I watched intention...


An Accidental Christmas

MOVIE #1,061 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 07.13.23

WELL, HONG? • CHAPTER 4
I think this is the first Lifetime Original Movie that I watched intentionally? Folks, this is what happens when you dedicate one day every two weeks to watching a movie James Hong appeared in. I knew ‘about’ these 'films’ of course, and what their general 'vibe’ was (read: bad, and bad in very particular way). But sitting down to actually watch one was a different experience entirely. I’m a changed man now. There’s no going back.

The logic of a Lifetime Original Movie (L.O.M.) exists outside of the stratosphere of a normal human mind. Every character embodies some variation of a stereotype of both different kinds of people and ideas, and sometimes these ways of being will shift on a dime from scene to scene.

So the father character (a fascinating performance by David Millbern) is both the horny playboy and the sad cuck. Everyone is simply a pawn for various Middle America ideas and/or goofs, and the greater story as well as any individual arc is always secondary to the conveyance of a particular emotion in the current moment. James Hong plays a beachfront mansion caretaker named Rico who himself is secretly rich. He had more lines in this than all of the previous three entries in the series combined.

I have no idea how this fits in the greater L.O.M. canon. Is it more or less batshit than your average L.O.M.? Who’s to say? (not me anyhow) I was strangely fascinating and, dare I say, even entertained, though. Not in any traditional way, but in the anthropological sense. Every decision mystified me, as did the aforementioned thespian stylings of one Mr. Millbern…


The plot is essentially a rehashed version of The Parent Trap for the middle 2000s normcore sect. It’s not important. At least James had fun (I hope)…


Oh, also the actress who plays Danny McBride’s wife on The Righteous Gemstones is in this, if you care to know about such things.

UPDATE: I didn't realize when I initially wrote this review that it was directed by Fred Olen Ray, the prolific garbage auteur behind such classics as The Brain Leeches and Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers. I really want to do a D.F. on this guy. I think it would be a lot of fun but it would be probably hell lol.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
⫷ MOVIE #1,060 - (YOU ARE HERE) - MOVIE #1,062 ⫸

A couple separated for almost a year endure the machinations of their two children trying to effect a reconciliation. It was released on December 9, 2007.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.