🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


Certain Women


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 200: 11.07.2019

🎙️ EPISODE 305: 02.05.2021

EDITOR'S NOTE: When I recorded Episode 305 during the Ranking Kelly Reichardt Series, I had completely forgotten about my recording Episode 200 on this film over a year earlier! Making it one of the rare films to have TWO standalone episodes dedicated to it. (Note: The written critique is from 2019 as well.)
I turned on the most recent Kelly Reichardt joint on a whim, late at night, via Netflix. I was a little drunk. Was a very rare moment for me, having the house to myself and whatnot, so I turned on night owl movie mode. I don't regret a thing. This is far and away the veteran filmmaker's best work (most likely). Of the previous films of hers I've seen, I recall feeling lukewarm about Old Joy, but much more connected to Wendy and Lucy. With that film, I felt like I understood the subtleness and could live inside of it for 80 minutes or three hours or forever. What struck me about Certain Women, whilst firmly in the same vein stylistically, was how deep it felt. Working loosely in the anthology mode (as this film is essentially three connected shorts starring Laura Dern, Michelle Williams, Kristen Stewart and Lily Gladstone, and adapted from stories by the author Maile Meloy), these are the most complex characters to date in the Reichardtverse. They are strong, vulnerable, earnest and flawed, sometimes all at once. A true under-the-radar gem, one that makes me want to seek out or rewatch everything else in her canon. SPOILER ALERT: I did




Part of the... Ranking Kelly Reichardt Series – #4


CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 199 - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 201 ⫸

CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 304 - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 306A ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.