🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


Jojo Rabbit


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 223: 12.30.19

A satire in the truest form, Jojo Rabbit took a moment to get its tonal footing, but when it finally did, I thought it was excellent. There's a sadness in the humor which I felt transcended the obliqueness of the seemingly forced anti-wokeness of "Hey look at Funny Hitler!" It also hits all the classic movie beats. I think this film and its anti-hate message has the chance to age really well, and definitely one I can see enjoying on repeat viewings. I don't get all the hate for it, is what I'm saying. Taika Waititi has cemented himself as a major filmmaker with this one. Portraying "imaginary friend Hitler" himself — a bit that could've really run itself into the ground if it wasn't deployed with restraint — Waititi deserves extra commendation for having directed such a great film while, you know, dressed like that. We get predictably solid performances by Sam Rockwell and Scarlett Johansson (plus a brief, but highly entertaining one-scene cameo by the great Stephen Merchant), but it's really the A+ acting of the young leads, Roman Griffin Davis in the titular role and Thomasin McKenzie as Anne Frank surrogate, who tie it all together. I highly recommend it in spite of the German accents.
I honestly didn’t realize how extremely polarizing this film was in the critical and online realm. The negative reviews are harsh as hell and all seem, to me at least, to miss the point entirely by focusing on the outlandish concept of "Funny Hitler." I somewhat get the idea it is too fluffy given the underlying subject matter, but that feels like such an obvious choice; how can you slam it like it’s the byproduct of neglect or laziness or whatever? I don’t necessarily think it’s a classic but, A) I really liked it, and B) I do feel like history will be kind to it, even if (ironically?) its lack of regard for history seems to be the biggest collective knock against it right now.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 222C - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 224A ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.