🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


Malignant


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 367: 09.22.21

This is The Big Question: is this intentional? Is it bad on purpose? Or were they trying to make a cool, badass movie and they wound up with... this. There have been references to giallo being an influence for director (and "story by" guy) James Wan, the mainstream horror master behind SO many films I haven't seen like all the Saw and Conjuring movies. And if that's the case, then it being "bad on purpose" seems to be the leader in the clubhouse. My take? I see similarities (to giallo) but they all seem to shatter when this becomes a full-on Matrix-level action flick in the final act. Suffice to say, this thing is equal parts fascinating and totally head-scratching.

There is a line of dialogue (and its specific line read) during a mind-scape sequence towards the end of the film that solidifies its place in the LoL/WTF column forever; see 36:55 of this clip...

Out of context, that's hilarious. IN CONTEXT, it's even funnier! This movie is super funny whether its trying to or not. I was not expecting that.

I don't really have much more to say here. I found myself wondering what this would have been like if it had ANY recognizable actors or stars in it. Again, James Wan directed fucking Aquaman which made a zillion dollars. The choice to do with this no-names was certainly intentional. (And I don't know what the choice says about The Big Question, either! It seems to muddy the waters even more??)

So, in closing, throwing all that garbage about intention out the window, is this movie any good? I would say definitely yes. It works as a curiosity, but it also works as just a "turn your brain off" ultra gory, highly stupid body horror WTF-fest. Where is my mind, indeed.

Oh, also, I was thinking of doing a parody song accompanying each episode going forward. Well I didn't have the time or the energy this time (natch) but if I had, I would have parodied "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" as "Get Maliggy Wit It"... OK, bye!

CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 366C - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 368 (Coming Soon) ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.