MOVIE #1,405 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 02.28.24 I had totally forgotten that Scanners spawned two (direct-ish) sequels and then two more Scanner C...


Scanner Cop

MOVIE #1,405 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 02.28.24
I had totally forgotten that Scanners spawned two (direct-ish) sequels and then two more Scanner COP flicks, which take place — naturally — in the SCU (Scanners Cinematic Universe). Of all the Cronenberg ideas to build a franchise off of this probably makes the most sense, but it's still kind of nuts that there's THIS much. I am somewhat regretful that I didn't start at the beginning (1991’s Scanners II: The New Order) but I'll get to the rest eventually. This movie is a hot mess but there's a mix of interesting ingredients that mostly add up to a decent time. For example…
The opening scene when the future scanner cop’s biological dad hallucinates tiny faces popping out of his head…


And this excellent computer suspect composite program…


And it wouldn't be a Scanners movie if a head didn't explode (albeit a pale imitation of the legendary original)…


Last but not last is the incredibly good end set piece…


Daniel Quinn as an excellent "scanning" face.

There are so many ludicrous plot holes and wonky narrative turns that don't make sense (like why do they announce their plan to put the cops in street clothes on live TV? As this allows the bad guys to simply change their approach to killing them?). But, as with this ilk, you’re best to try and ignore that stuff. It’s fun to see notable character actor, Mark Rolston, for example.

The original Scanners was one of the first films I ever reviewed which I then revisited for my Cronenberg DF and I still think I was too hard on that (I gave it a 9/10 but ranked it #11). Although, perhaps this is the quality of Scanner Cop is just making me think that way by comparison.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
⫷ MOVIE #1,404 - (YOU ARE HERE) - MOVIE #1,406 ⫸

Scanner Cop is a 1994 Canadian science fiction action horror film. It is the fourth film in the Scanners series and the first film in the Scanner Cop series. It was written, produced, and directed by Pierre David. Daniel Quinn stars as the title character, a police officer with psychic powers. It was released on July 27, 1994.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.