MOVIE #1,533 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 04.12.24 Another one of them foreign flicks where the established,. universally-used title is in the or...


Petit Maman

MOVIE #1,533 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 04.12.24
Another one of them foreign flicks where the established,. universally-used title is in the original language (I call this The Beau Travail Problem). Sciamma's most recent picture is a minuscule 72 minutes long, but it packs a big punch. I actually wrote that last sentence 30 seconds into watching this and I hope it's true (a little peek at how the sausage gets made for you fine folks — this dump really is like a sausage factory). I'm thinking I'll make this review a series of live observations if that's alright. Who am I asking if it's alright. I don't need permission. All my reviews should be in this style perhaps. It would save me a lot of time, at the very least.
• This girl's cheese puff eating technique can only be described as squirrelly.

• Au revoir is one of those phrases that everybody knows and has heard a million times but I still don't think I'm ever saying it quite right, even in my head, even right after hearing it used in a film a dozen times. It just doesn't sound right in my voice.

• I don't know about what from punch-packing but I'm into this.

• I saw a CNN review of The Zone of Interest that came out after the Oscars and it was rightfully getting dragged all across X (I call it X now). I'll probably mention this / expand on this in MY The Zone of Interest review if I ever get around to writing it. That would be the place to do it.

• Plex billed this as a “fantasy” film and while I get that designation, I'm not sure if it's fantastical enough for that to be the main genre label. These are the important things I think about when I watch a film.

• I like this sentiment about not telling kids the “real things,” instead only relaying fluff, amusing anecdotes, and such. That's so true. That's a sentiment worthy of an Oxford comma when you're explaining it.

• I have several of the same four-color ink pen seen here…


• It's a very popular pen.

• If there was only a way to truly know your parents! (Or any other humans for that matter.)

• Speaking of The Zone of Interest! Woah…


• Are these kids sisters in real life? They have to be. Feel stupid even writing that.

• Bad Atmosphere (use for future song title).

• They say “old school” in French too.

• I wonder what “petite maman” means. Probably “little maman.”

• “You come from the future?” “I come from this path behind you.” Wonderful.

• Been having this pain in my upper right arm, but it's like just below the surface. My wife said she could feel a bump under there compared to the other arm but I don't really feel ‘a bump’ — it's just an irritation. It's disconcerting because it's so unusual (to me).

• The kids aren't freaked out when they find out the cosmically impossible scenario that they're wrapped up in.

• I appreciate how this is the exact set-up for some contemporary ‘prestige horror' but instead of using the backbone of this plot for darkness, it's used for introspection.

• I like that I'm just going to post this as the review ‘as is’ style, bullet points and all. It's so lazy but also so beautiful.

• “First the soup, then the party” line reminded me of “leave the gun, take the cannolis,” cadence-wise (although this is me reading the English translation in my head, the cadence is different in French, obvs).

• Why would you rush home to spend time with your mom on her birthday when you can celebrate with her former self when she was your exact age?

• Not too late in the game to inject some gender/sexual politics! I kid, I kid. It worked and it was actually in service of a sweet moment. (I'm talking about the conversation about having a baby as a young mom, and the question of “wanting her.”)

• It would be funny if we heard The Shins song from Garden State when she hands her the headphones…


• I've referenced Zach Braff and Francis Ford Coppola in my Petite Maman review. Suck on that!

• There's actually been very little music in this and that's worked well. “More movies should have less music.” -me

• Interesting pyramid in the middle of this lake. You got one of those around and it's a no-brainer to put it in your movie…


• Even when you interact with the magical child version of your mother, it's mostly about hearing what they think they need to say. There's no truth. Even in fantasy.

• But the final words of the movie, mother and daughter speaking their names to one another, is a sign that we can still understand each other. On some deeper level beyond truth and idle platitudes. As humans.

• Excellent movie. Solid to high 9/10. If this has been a true fantasy film then there would have been like a magical chipmunk that led her through a glowing portal to link up with the mother's child-self. Those might not be the rules but they're my rules.

• It's 12:18AM now and I just let my dog out to go pee and I am not sure why I feel compelled to share this here but, no matter how late it is when I go do that, the neighbors across the street still have most of their lights on.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
⫷ MOVIE #1,532 - (YOU ARE HERE) - MOVIE #1,534 ⫸

Petite Maman (Little Mother) is a 2021 French fantasy drama film, written and directed by Céline Sciamma. Starring Joséphine Sanz, Gabrielle Sanz, Stéphane Varupenne, Nina Meurisse and Margo Abascal, the film follows a young girl coping with the death of her maternal grandmother by bonding with her mother. It was released on March 3, 2021.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.