MOVIE #1,732 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 06.17.24 D̷I̷R̷E̷C̷T̷O̷R̷ ̷F̷I̷L̷L̷-̷I̷N̷ ̷S̷E̷R̷I̷E̷S̷:̷ SHAWN LINDEN Look, I wasn’t expecting much here...


Nobody

MOVIE #1,732 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 06.17.24
D̷I̷R̷E̷C̷T̷O̷R̷ ̷F̷I̷L̷L̷-̷I̷N̷ ̷S̷E̷R̷I̷E̷S̷:̷ SHAWN LINDEN

Look, I wasn’t expecting much here. I’m starting to go through the archives to find directors whom I’ve only reviewed one or two of their films and then I’m filling in the gaps. Hence: Director FILL-IN series. The thing is I’m doing this AT RANDOM. So when I randomly selected Shawn Linden, he who helmed the abysmal 1-outta-10 Hunter Hunter (from 2020, his most recent effort), I wasn’t looking forward to sitting through his other three films! But this was a pleasant surprise. It’s extremely low-budget look and feel gave it a poor man’s INLAND EMPIRE feel, and while it’s dream-logic, time-looping plot also gave off David Lynch Lite vibes, I think it mostly works. (Sort of) like Lost Highway, this features a Möbius strip esque storytelling device which explores cause and effect. Does it totally make sense to anyone not named Shawn Linden?
Maybe not, but it’s a fun period neo-noir that gets the most out of every ounce of its budget and it features solid performances from character actors Costas Mandylor and Ed O’Ross, getting to tackle the lead roles for a change.

This feels like a film that wants you to map it out with paper and pen, and while I'm not gonna do that, I appreciate that it's asking so much from the viewer. 8-outta-10 might be too high but I always applaud a big swing even when it doesn’t totally connect. Also, I think this is as close to blackface as you can get without being accused of doing blackface?...


He vaguely looks like Tim Heidecker in that still too lol.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
⫷ MOVIE #1,731 - (YOU ARE HERE) - MOVIE #1,733 ⫸

A nameless assassin is hunted through the dark streets of an empty city, pursued by the mysterious man he had just killed... It was released on July 28, 2007.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.