MOVIE #1,857 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 07.29.24 I won't be doing the plot recap for this like I did for Breen’s first five films . I don'...

Home » , , , , , , , » Cade: The Tortured Crossing

Cade: The Tortured Crossing

MOVIE #1,857 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 07.29.24
I won't be doing the plot recap for this like I did for Breen’s first five films. I don't have it in me. I also don't remember a thing from 2018’s Twisted Pair which this is a sequel to. Not that it matters! I know it won't make a lick of sense! (That's not why we watch Breen, duh.) This aesthetic — 100% shot in front of a green screen + stock footage — is almost too much. I miss Breen with his tuna cans in the desert or just sitting in a real room eating salad. It is kind of amazing he got this many actors to participate, though. I would love to see a behind-the-scenes making-of for this. I want to see Breen and these actors against the screens on set before the backgrounds have been added in. And also his direction tactics. I would pay good money to see this. I recorded an impromptu podcast…
IMPROMPTU PODCAST!
As I mentioned on that pod, there are (at least) two moments in this movie which make it worth watching, and they operate on opposite ends of the So Good It’s Bad spectrum. First, Breen play-fights with a CGI albino tiger who turns into a large-breasted woman…


This is pure Breen and something he clearly thinks is ‘cool’. This is what makes his films SBIG and why we keep coming back. Then there is the thread of a guy trying to play a Casio keyboard which culminates in a choreographed dance sequence. It’s the first time in this six-feature run where I wasn’t so sure that WE (the audience) were actually the ones getting trolled…


Perhaps we’ll never get an answer to this question but I can’t fathom ANY scenario where that goofball shit wasn’t done intentionally on some level, either to be funny on purpose or to appease the ironic crowds he’s attracted. And I think, if that is the case, then it fundamentally changes how we should perceive his work going forward. We’ll have to wait for Movie #7 to get an answer, though.

In the end, there's still a unique magic here, naturally, but the full-stop reliance on green screen here is too much. I really hope he tries to shoot in the real world on the next one. (Also, I've scored all his pictures WAY TOO high but there's no going back now.)



CHRONOLOGICALLY
⫷ MOVIE #1,856 - (YOU ARE HERE) - MOVIE #1,858 ⫸

Cade: The Tortured Crossing is a 2023 American independent science fiction psychological thriller film directed, produced, scored, edited, and written by Neil Breen. It is the sequel to Twisted Pair (2018). The film had its world premiere during the Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival at the Regal Cinemas L.A. Live, by Neil Breen Films, LLC. The film began a public theatrical rollout on July 28, 2023, in Canada, before its domestic debut on August 8, in select Alamo Drafthouse Cinema theaters. The film received negative reviews from critics. It was released on February 25, 2023.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.