🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

Home » , , , , , , » Matangi/Maya/M.I.A.

Matangi/Maya/M.I.A.


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 204: 11.15.19

Tied together by a pre-fame, aspiring film student M.IA.'s 2001 footage of a trip to visit her family in Sri Lanka after a decade+ living as a refugee in London, the fully sanctioned, highly official Matangi/Maya/M.I.A. doc is exactly what you'd expect: decidedly pro-M.I.A. in every which way, and that's fine. It's not about what side of the fence you're on as the Tamil-British pop star might argue that the fence doesn't really exist. Reality is chaos. Chaos is imaginary. Does it really matter who ordered the truffle fries? Is a middle finger really worth $16.6 million? I believe some singular artists are almost above dissection, and I believe in some singular artists unequivocally (even if I don't actually understand or trust everything they say and do). All that being said – as I'm obliged to politely nod for the duration both in solidarity and to the beat of the hot tracks – this does suffer AS A FILM, critically, from a lack of conflict, which I suppose is ironic given the underlying subject matter. But then again, who M.I.A. to say?


CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 203 - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 205 ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.