0


The Perfection


0


🎙️ EPISODE 193: 08.11.19 *Review starts @ ~ 9:55

I rarely if ever give films straight-up pans. Because A) I'm not really seeking out things I hate, and B) If I didn't like something to a strong degree, I can still usually see why others might or at least appreciate some aspect. When I truly hate a movie there's usually an extracurricular or underlying element at play which stokes my fire. The Perfection is a PERFECT example of that type of movie.
The Perfection seemingly wants to have the charm of a B-movie whilst also playcating to the "have you seen this?" FOMO crowd with its numerous, wholly unearned twists and turns, all while being propped up on a pedestal by that little streaming company that could. Maybe the first of those suggestions is my bad interpretation, but I shudder to think of the viewership processing this film as “NOT camp.”

I'm also not totally indifferent to the fact that, perhaps, a good chunk of the target audience is much much younger than I am and the themes of, err, umm, perfection (I'm trying not to cringe) have almost readymade resonance built in. But then I just get doubly pissed off (or really: just depressed) that torture and body horror were necessary facilitators of this despicable display of emotional manipulation. Sorry did I say "despicable display of emotional manipulation," I meant: totally normal Gen Z spiritual journey! Ugh, typos.

But the worst part of this, the most offensive thing by far, is not what I've just laid out. And it's not the fact that Netflix/the filmmakers did a straight-up bait and switch with the trailer that made this look like an infectious disease movie because why did they do that? The main problem, AT THE END OF THE DAY, is that The Perfection is a total failure of a film. It's a boring snoozefest that looks like garbage. The screenplay is terrible and the acting is worse. The only thing that got me through to the end was knowing I would be able to rip it apart online (no pun intended).

CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 193A - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 194 ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.