🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿

Home » , , , , , , » Recorder: The Marion Stokes Project

Recorder: The Marion Stokes Project


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 327: 02.22.2021
Recorder marks the third doc this week that I watched (and reviewed) which had a colon in its title. Guess you can start calling me the Gastroenterologist now! (sorry)

Seriously, all three documentaries–this, Codaand Barefoot–are all great and definitely worth your time. Wherein the story of Mark Baumer was already near and dear to my heart, this was more along the lines of Ryuichi Sakamoto's story for me; his life and work was, for the most part, new to me. But for someone obsessed with the development of home recording technology over the last several decades, the premise could not have been more in my wheelhouse: Marion Stokes secretly recorded television 24 hours a day for 30 years from 1975 until her death in 2012. Yas Queen. You probably don't need me to tell you that a person who would do such thing is endlessly interesting and pretty much tailor-made doc fodder. But Matt Wolf, director of the excellent Wild Combination: A Portrait of Arthur Russell (2008) and the somewhat lacking Spaceship Earth, which I reviewed last year, has elevated the material with a tight, finely crafted film.


CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 326 - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 328 ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.