🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


Replicas


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 504: 07.06.22

Holy fucking shit this movie. I sometimes don't get it; I really don't. And sure, I'll cop to the fact that I might be so irony-poisoned at this point that I have no business doing this or much of anything else this side of Critiquesville. Buttttt, Replicas, an 11%-er on Rotten Tomatoes and true box office bomb (the film fell 81.5% in its second weekend to $439,731, the ninth worst second-week drop of all-time), is — ACTUALLY — a good movie. So what I'm trying to say here is, I legit don't understand what people are looking for when they go into a movie. Personally, my bar, my benchmark is somewhere along the lines of "I want to be entertained in any way, shape or form." And this is an entertaining movie! It's obviously not a major work of art and it sometimes entertains ironically (I GUESS), but the fact remains: it works and it's enjoyable.
This is essentially a B-Movie. I would say it's a B-Movie dressed up as something resembling an A-Movie, but part of its charm is also how bad it looks. I feel like somebody pocketed $20-25 mill of its $30-million dollar budget. This clone/android guy on the movie poster is not really a major "character" but its ass does bookend the film in an important way and OMG it's the freaking Lawnmower Man...



This is the kind of movie that had me writing notes like "He's [Keanu Reeves] doing the minority report thing in the bedroom to his wife" and not bat an eyelash. I think my enjoyment of this, on some level, is due simply to the fact that I thought it was going to be a bigger story, or attempt to be a bigger story. That it's roughly this family affair (despite the larger implications, obviously) is what lends it its charm. I love movies that feel like they're figuring it out as they go.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 503 - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 505 ⫸

Replicas is a 2018 American science fiction thriller film directed by Jeffrey Nachmanoff, and written by Chad St. John, from a story by Stephen Hamel. The film tells the story of a neuroscientist who violates the law and bioethics to bring his family members back to life after they die in a car accident. It stars Keanu Reeves, Alice Eve and Thomas Middleditch. It was released on November 24, 2018.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.