🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


Nebraska


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 608: 11.29.22

🎙️ EPISODE 69: 01.20.17

I don't know what my deal was back in 2014. (I barely know what it is today, here in late 2022!) All I can say is, please don't listen to Episode 69 (nice), where I played an archival recording of myself in my early 30s, talking about the masterpiece that is Nebraska. I gave it a lame, half-assed review and I'm sorry. It's not like I've gotten that much better but 500+ podcasts later and, well, yeah not sure what my point was here other than the original score of 7 I bestowed this movie was... not accurate. Maybe, over these last eight years, I've aged into middle life poorly, and I can see the endless plights for what they are: so stuck and stale that they can appear nonexistent. But they bring with them a pain which is constant and seems to sting a little less over time, a numbness draped over what used to be cutting and drastic.
I can relate to the father and the son now equally. The vague animosities and near constant disappointments no match for the hopefulness that one day, it'll all change... or it'll all be over, and not really knowing if there's a difference between the two. But of course, this being Payne, the film is bigger than this. This movie is so sad. The tragedy of poor people in America, consumed by money and the thought of getting more/any of it. Dern's performance is so minimalist and perfect, the true embodiment of a lifelong, wet-brained alcoholic, just incoherent and unfeeling. And Will Forte is the ideal foil. Everyone's AMAZING in this. Bob Odenkirk as the far less patient but ultimately still loyal older brother. JUNE SQUIBB. I didn't appreciate any of it eight years ago, truthfully. People do change, as it turns out.

CHRONOLOGICALLY
⫷ EPISODE 608A - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 609 ⫸



CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 68 - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 70 ⫸

Nebraska is a 2013 American comedy-drama road film directed by Alexander Payne, written by Bob Nelson, and starring Bruce Dern, Will Forte, June Squibb and Bob Odenkirk. Shot in black-and-white, the story follows an elderly Montana resident and his son as they try to claim a million-dollar sweepstakes prize on a long trip to Nebraska. The film was nominated for the Palme d'Or (Grand Prize) at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, where Dern won the Best Actor Award. It was also nominated for six Oscars, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor for Dern, Best Supporting Actress for Squibb, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Cinematography. The film was acclaimed by critics and became a commercial success, bringing in $27.7 million from the box office on a $13.5 million budget. It was the final film to be released by Paramount Vantage, as it merged with its parent company Paramount Pictures. It was released on May 23, 2013.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.