MOVIE #1,571 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 04.25.24 Lynch being Lynch, he couldn’t just package the scraps from INLAND EMPIRE onto the DVD release ...


More Things That Happened

MOVIE #1,571 • 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 • 04.25.24
Lynch being Lynch, he couldn’t just package the scraps from INLAND EMPIRE onto the DVD release in a ‘normal’ way. Instead he put together an entire 75-minute movie essentially built off the cutting room floor. The results are as fascinating and/or as polarizing as the original.

The stuff with Dern is the best (naturally) and the question remains: is this more than the sum of its parts? The deleted scenes of INLAND EMPIRE? Or does it stand on its own? I wish I had time to ingest that mammoth movie again at the moment because I could see extending it with this for an even more epic affair might really work. I've seen people call this his best movie and while I'm pretty sure I'll never feel that, I am getting closer to understanding that opinion (or at least accepting it as something other than contrarian nonsense).
If that movie connects with you then this will connect with you in the same way and it's both an extension and it's own thing because the beauty of experimentalism makes that true. It makes me wish this was a weekly series: I would love to stew in 60-75 minutes of this weird, incredibly well-designed world four times a month.

Rare rabbit outside of the rabbit realm worth the price of admission alone…


Also Dern of course…


The end of this is fascinating: Dern sits in a living room full of girls that quickly is distorted to a shaky blur then we refocus on a closeup of her face, illuminated in a golden light as the music swells and the other ladies stare at her emotionlessly. Cut to black. I don’t recall how the real movie ends, but that was pretty perfect. And I need to watch the ‘real’ movie again soon — I’m somewhat ashamed of my tepid (read: bad) take in hindsight. This is just brilliant…



CHRONOLOGICALLY
⫷ MOVIE #1,570 - (YOU ARE HERE) - MOVIE #1,572 ⫸

A collection of deleted scenes from David Lynch's 2006 surrealist horror 'Inland Empire'. It was released on August 14, 2007.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.