🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


Transit


🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿


🎙️ EPISODE 300: 01.24.2021 *Review starts @ ~ 2:12:50

This film seems to hang upon a conceit that, no matter how I try to see, is inherently broken. Based on Anna Seghers's 1944 novel of the same name and adapted to be set in the present, it's a film about the beginning of a dangerous, fascist state. That's all well and good, but thing about the world in 1944 is that I don't think I need to tell you what was happening in the world (of Eastern Europe) in 1944! The greater context of WHAT'S HAPPENING in THIS WORLD was lost on me, wasn't properly laid out. I get that maybe it's a WWII story set in modern times only the Germans are on the ones hiding, looking for refuge?? The French are the Nazis now?? What the hell is this film's politics beyond fascism sucks dude and could ostensibly happen again, at any moment, anywhere. OK. Maybe I'm just super dumb and am missing something right in front of my face, but this one didn't work for me at all.
Granted, if this hadn't been based on a book from 1944, or if I just simply was unaware of that information, would my interpretation/opinion be different? Kind of impossible to say, I guess. The movie was a tad boring on its own merits, and employed endless voiceover narration which felt way too stilted and literary. I think this is the kind of paint-by-numbers foreign film which is going to register very high grades across the board with the certified boomer critics, leading to a completely undeserved mid 90s % Rotten Tomatoes score. But in reality, for various reasons, it's actually kinda bad ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

*** part of THE BIG EPISODE 300 EXTRAVAGANZA wherein I reviewed 36 movies, mostly live reads of critiques I wrote between 2009-2012. But this one was one of 6 that I watched and wrote recently, OK??. ***

THE 36 MOVIES REVIEWED DURING EPISODE 300
30 MINUTES OR LESSALEX BAG: UNTITLED FALL '95AWAY WE GOBEASTS OF THE SOUTHERN WILDBEING ELMOBORAT SUBSEQUENT MOVIEFILMTHE BROTHERS SOLOMONA BUCKET OF BLOOD
THE CAMPAIGNTHE CENTER OF THE WORLDCHRISTMAS ON MARSTHE CHRISTMAS TREE • CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE. • (500) DAYS OF SUMMERA FIELD IN ENGLANDFUNNY PEOPLEGET HIM TO THE GREEKGIGANTIC (A TALE OF TWO JOHNS) • INCEPTIONJEFF, WHO LIVES AT HOMELEAVE NO TRACEMAN ON WIREMIDNIGHT IN PARISMONEYBALLMOONMUTUAL APPRECIATIONPOM WONDERFUL PRESENTS: THE GREATEST MOVIE EVER SOLDRISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APESSLEEPWALK WITH ME • SOME DRINKING IMPLIEDTIM AND ERIC'S BILLION DOLLAR MOVIETRANSITTO ROME WITH LOVETHE WICKER MANWINTER'S BONEYOUTH IN REVOLT


CHRONOLOGICALLY
EPISODE 300P - (YOU ARE HERE) - EPISODE 300R ⫸

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Movie. Powered by Blogger.